Sunhills Community Church
Jesus Questions the Cross
Further Reflection, Discussion and Application
- Take time to read and reflect on the gospel accounts of the final hours of Jesus...
- Reflect on the scene at the Garden of Gethsemane – what do you think Jesus was experiencing? Why did he want/instruct his disciples to pray? How does “the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak” show itself in your life?
- Look again at Jesus’ arrest – what surprises you here? Specifically, what do Jesus’ questions show about him and his purposes?
- Jesus was asked many questions during his trial, and asked a few more of his own – what do you make of those interactions?
- How would you explain what Jesus meant by his final question from the cross (Matt 27:46)? Have you ever felt distant from/abandoned by God? How does this experience of Jesus speak to that?
- What does focused reflection on the cross do for you? Does it stir you to a particular response? If so, what?
- In your own words, state how the passion of Christ shows how bad we are and how loved we are.
AMEN'd this Sermon: