The Bridge Christian Church
Dare To Grow
Series • "Dare to Be Great" the BRIDGE • 01/29/2012
Dare to GROW
I John 2:12-14
Setting the Context
When you first become a Christian, the Bible refers to you as a “babe in Christ.” BUT, if you remain in your spiritual diapers - you do not grow - there is a problem. John gives a great example for us to follow as an outline for our spiritual growth.
According to John, the next growth stage from being a young child in the faith and simply knowing you’re saved is:
You Have ______________ Satan
You are _____________
God’s __________ Abides in You
1 Corinthians 3:1-3 (NLT)
1Dear brothers and sisters, when I was with you I couldn’t talk to you as I would to spiritual people. I had to talk as though you belonged to this world or as though you were infants in the Christian life. 2I had to feed you with milk, not with solid food, because you weren’t ready for anything stronger. And you still aren’t ready, 3for you are still controlled by your sinful nature.
The Growth Stoppers
1. Your _____________ Nature
Eve (Gen 3:6) “…saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate.
2. _________, __________ and the _______________ of Life
Luke 8: 14 [They] hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature.
How do I grow?
1. __________ God’s Word
2. Be _____________
Take this test to check your spiritual nourishment.
- How much time did you spend this week watching TV?
- How much time watching sports or entertainment, or reading the paper, magazines, etc.?
- How much time did you spend on some hobby or outside interest, that may not be immoral but is not necessary?
- How many hours did you spend studying your Bible?
- How many services of the church did you attend? How many did you miss that you could have attended?
Would You Dare to GROW?
Two things to remember:
1. Don't Expect to Mature __________________.
2. Don't Become ______________ by _____________.
Growth Group Homework
For the week of: 01/29/2012
1. What insight, principle, or observation from this weekend’s message did you find to be most helpful, eye opening, or troubling? Explain.
2. What was your favorite thing to do when you were a teenager?
3. Out of the three: Cares, Riches, and Pleasures of Life, which one seems to be the biggest growth barrier in your life?
4. What would you say is your greatest nourishment in your Christian walk? i.e. going to church, reading scripture, Christian friends, etc.
5. Which one do you nourish the best: your spirit or your body? Are you feeding your mind on God's word or pleasures? Rate yourself.
God’s Word --------------------------------------------------------------- Pleasures
6. When you make a mistake in your Christian walk, do you beat yourself up or learn from it and move on?
7. Have you ever learned a valuable lesson from a failure (big or small)? If so, and you’re comfortable sharing it, share what your learned.
8. What one thing could your Growth Group do to help you grow in Christ?
AMEN'd this Sermon: