Waynesboro Gospel Chapel
Bob Deeds Part 4
Psalmist is going through bad times Kaph ( 81 – 88 )
- But he hopes in God’s Word
i. He’s overwhelmed to the point of almost giving up hope
ii. But he finds hope in his word
iii. He has the hope found in the Word of God
1. Things are becoming very difficult in this world
2. The world’s view of Christians is becoming more skewed
3. Example: List of countries with greatest persecutions
i. Yet there are many people being saved there
i. Can be put to death if you convert to Christianity
c. Another way to go through difficult times (losing Jobs, sickness, etc.)
i. But you can still have he assurance of God being a help in time of need.
- When is that comfort coming?
i. When, God, will you strengthen me from the burden being heaped upon me?
1. This person is going through a steep persecution and yet they didn’t turn from God
2. This person does not forget God’s statutes. In the world this person felt like a crackled wineskin.
a. When we have difficulties and irritations of life we can turn to Him and find strength in the Word of God
i. “I will not forget your statues”
ii. “Your word is my strength”
iii. “Your word is my hope even in the midst of this”
b. Even during the wondering of when these things will never end
i. “The trouble is overwhelming yet you’re not doing anything about these people”
ii. We don’t have to depend on political leaders
1. The politics are deteriorating
2. Too many people want to put their trusts in government
3. Our trust should be placed on the Lord
a. Whoever gets elected it is God who has allowed it
i. For Christianity has flourished even in the midst of the worst political leaders
b. Things might not change or get worst under a new leader but our trust is in the Lord.
iii. Asking the Lord to Help
1. We can trust in Him
a. To help us
b. To keep us
c. To do what’s right
iv. The Psalmist points out his pain
1. Like Job
a. Who lost everything
b. Whose wife tells him to curse God and die
c. Whose friends were berating him
d. Yet Job answered “God’s ways are right.”
2. Even in the midst of Pain
a. Like the Hebrews author who looks unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith
b. It doesn’t demand things going great every day, but through the difficulties there is a reliance on God, a looking to Him
i. The faithful in Hebrews 11
1. A group of people who suffered through their situation but relied on the Lord
2. We may not even know the names of some of them who were stoned
a. Yet they’re heroes of the faith: a great cloud of witnesses
3. The Prayer was that he be faithful in his service to the Lord
a. Quicken me according to your loving-kindness
b. Strengthen me
c. I’ll keep the testimony of my mouth.
i. All these things keep us relying on Him
- And Yet, God’s Word is settled
i. God’s faithfulness continues throughout all generations
1. We see God’s truths continuing on
a. As we saw the caring of the Israelites
b. As we saw Jesus revealed on the cross
c. As we saw the Gospel available to all
d. The Gospel continues to go forth
ii. God has established the Earth and it stands
1. Gen 1:1 God created it and God sustains it.
2. The Earth continues according to God’s ordinances
a. All things are God’s servants.
b. These things continue not because of chance or because of man but because God controls it. All nature is God’s servant.
- If it wasn’t for God’s Word then the Psalmist would’ve given up
i. With God’s precepts the Psalmist has been quickened
ii. God’s precepts have established the Psalmist firmly
1. The Psalmist was going through persecution but by relying on God he was greatly helped.
2. He might wonder why he went through these things wondering why God allowed him to go through them
a. But the thing is some difficulties are there to strengthen u sand bring us to a place where we need to be.
b. Sometimes its to see that God does strengthen
c. Difficulties are not there without some purpose
d. We wouldn’t be very strong if we didn’t go through some difficulties
i. Gold that comes through fire is the gold that becomes purified
ii. Bridges with the proper stress stand stronger because of that stress.
iii. I’ve been buffeted on every side but I stand because of Your Word
1. The World is nothing, the World is vain but what stands is God’s exceedingly broad Word (V96)
It is God’s Law that is the Psalmist daily meditation (V97) Mem
- That is my strength
- As things grow darker the one thing that is settled is the Word of God
i. It will be that strength for believers day by day.
AMEN'd this Sermon: